1. Communicate with teachers. The amount of respect your teachers will have for you if you just talk to them is immeasurable. Even if the language is tough and you aren't able to speak perfectly, they'll appreciate the effort.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Along with asking teachers for help, your new friends will be an amazing resource. Most will be more than happy to help you out with your homework and studying, and will know some great tricks and tips.
3. Google Translate is your new best friend (and don't be ashamed of it)! Ask this friend for help a lot, it's okay that you need it.
4. Learn the mode of studying of your new country; for example in Italian school, students do a lot of oral tests so I had to learn how to study for those. On the contrary, in America, worksheets and homework are the best study tools. You gotta learn the new mode to study.
5. Last, but most definitely not least, is don't kill yourself over studying. As long as you try your hardest, it doesn't matter if you don't get all A's (or 10's, depending on where you go to school haha). You aren't here to destroy yourself over grades, you're here to have an amazing and fun year. Your teachers will not fail you :)
If any incoming exchange students have questions, please feel free to email me!